Need a 20-minute meal for you or your family? Stuffing bell peppers is a time-efficient and cost-effective method to pack in quality protein and complex carbohydrates in every bite.
Ingredients for 4 stuffed bell pepper halves:
- 8oz extra lean ground turkey
- 2 colorful bell peppers
- 1 can (15oz) black beans (low sodium)
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce (no salt)
- 1 roma tomato (chopped)
- 1 zucchini (chopped)
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tbsp garlic paste
- sea salt, pepper to taste
- 1 cup reduced fat mozzarella
- cilantro, lime
- Set oven to 405F.
- Slice bell peppers in half (horizontally) to create 4 halves. Remove the seeds and the insides.
- Place the halves on a baking sheet face down and bake for 8 – 10 minutes.
- Set a nonstick skillet on medium high heat. Add ground turkey and garlic paste and cook.
- When the turkey has nearly finished cooking, add in tomato, tomato sauce, beans and zucchini. Stir. Add seasonings and add sea salt & pepper to taste. Cook uncovered for about 5 minutes.
- Evenly divide the mixture among the bell pepper halves and top each with about 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese.
- Place the stuffed bell peppers on a baking sheet; use foil to prop them up if needed.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 405F.
Approximate macros for 1 of 4 halves:
229 calories, 23g carbs, 5g fat, 27g protein, 7g fiber, 9g sugar