This post is also available in: Spanish
If you don’t have a lot of time to prepare an elaborate meal for yourself or your family, try stuffing squash or zucchini with a lean protein and complex carbohydrate source. Add a little bit of Latin flair with cilantro and green chiles, and you have a meal that will make you an instant hero at dinner time.
And the best thing about this meal is, it’s easy to customize to meet your dietary needs and preferences.
Ingredients for 6 yellow squash halves:
- 1 lb lean ground chicken
- 4oz hatch green chiles (mild, canned)
- 1 cup brown & wild rice mix
- 1 tbsp garlic paste
- 10 cherry tomatoes (sliced in half)
- 1/2 tbsp cumin
- 3 tbsp reduced fat mozzarella (optional)
- fresh cilantro (chopped)
- Set oven to 405F.
- Slice yellow squash in half and carve out part of the insides with the seeds.
- Set a nonstick skillet on medium high heat. Add garlic paste and ground chicken, then cumin seasoning and cook until chicken is 70% finished. Chop the chicken with a wooden spatula so that it does not bind together.
- Toss in green chiles and cooked rice. Mix together and cook until the chicken is 90% finished.
- Place the squash halves on a baking sheet.
- Fill the squash with the chicken and chile mixture.
- Slice cherry tomatoes in half and place on top of the meat mixture.
- Top with mozzarella cheese, about 1/2 tbsp for each boat half.
- Bake for 20 minutes for cooked yet firm squash.
Approximate macros for 1 of 6 squash halves:
168 calories, 19g protein, 15g carbs, 4g fat, 3g fiber