This post is also available in: Spanish
We’ve all been there! That craving for comfort foods can be pretty strong, especially around the holidays. Before spoiling all your hard work, try this healthier spin on a family classic.
Ingredients for about 10 fish sticks:
- ~1.5 lb halibut (or firm white fish like cod or tilapia)
- 1/2 cup gluten free panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp coconut flour
- 1/2 cup amaranth flakes (OR whole grain flakes, no sugar)
- 1/4 cup grated/shredded parmesan (reduced fat)
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 egg + 1 egg white
Ingredients for lemon dipping sauce:
- 1/2 cup 2% Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup red onion chopped (OR 1 tbsp onion powder)
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- juice from 1/2 lemon
- sea salt & pepper to taste
- Set oven to 405F.
- Cut fish into long pieces so they resemble slender fillets.
- Mix panko, flakes, parmesan, Italian seasoning and cayenne together in a bowl.
- Beat eggs together in another bowl.
- Dip fish in the egg mixture, then the breadcrumbs. Place the pieces on a baking sheet or rack.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 405F.
- Mix all of the ingredients together for the dipping sauce and season with sea salt and pepper to taste.
Approximate macros for 1 of 10 fish sticks WITHOUT dipping sauce:
133 calories, 9g carbs, 3g fat, 17g protein, 1g fiber, <1g sugar