This post is also available in: Spanish
Your post-workout meal is one of the most important meals of the day. Why? Because this meal is all about recovery, refueling and re-feeding so that your muscles grow and your performance improves.
Consuming carbohydrates after workouts helps to replenish glycogen stores – aka muscle energy – that have been emptied due to your workout. When you replenish, you feed your muscles so they can recover and grow.
So, here’s a new, delicious way to incorporate one of my favorite muscle-building carbohydrates, the sweet potato. These brownies have the perfect combo of complex and simple carbohydrates to help give your body what it needs to get to the next level.
Ingredients for up to 12 brownies:
- 500g baked sweet potato (no skin)
- 1/2 cup quinoa flour (or oat flour, oatmeal ground into flour)
- 1 zucchini (optional, but recommended since it adds moisture)
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 3 egg whites
- 1/3 cup raw organic honey
Approximate macros for 1 of 12 brownies:
- Set oven to 415F.
- Bake 2 large sweet potatoes until they are soft, approximately 1 hour. When the sweet potatoes have finished baking, allow them to cool to room temperature.
- Set oven to 350F.
- Grate the zucchini into a bowl and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add sweet potato and mash.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients and thoroughly mix together.
- Evenly divide batter among the individual muffin pan.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes, or until you can insert a toothpick in the brownies and it comes out clear.
Feel free to Pin or Share