This post is also available in: Spanish
The Final Day, Day 5 of the 5-Day Smoothie Challenge, Street Fighter Edition, is a delicious beta-carotene loaded smoothie for improved cardiovascular health and disease immunity. Two of the ingredients that make this smoothie so powerful are carrots and sweet potato. Yeah, you heard me correctly - sweet potato. Sweet potato is loaded with antioxidants and can be used as a great base for smoothies. While it is not harmful for you to eat raw sweet potato, many studies suggest that cooked sweet potato may be optimal since in the raw form it is more difficult for your body to digest and cooking helps destroy enzymes that may interfere with optimal nutrient absorption. However, small amounts of raw sweet potato – like in this smoothie - are generally ok for you.
In the video game Street Fighter, Ryu is arguably the most popular player, most known for his iconic Hadoken (or Hadouken) energy ball . Channeling as much energy as possible, Ryu would thrusts his palms towards his opponents to create a powerful energy wave to immobilize opponents. Similarly, the beta-carotene, vitamins and antioxidants will deliver a punch to keep diseases at bay!
Remember, to play you must recreate and drink the smoothie, take a picture, share it with friends & family on your social media channel with the #fitmencook hashtag and give your thoughts about the smoothie. What did you like? What would you change? How do you feel?
- 1/3 cup cantaloupe
- 60g raw or cooked sweet potato (I recommend using chilled, cooked sweet potato if you do not have a high-powered blender)
- 1 large carrot
- 1/3 banana
- 1 tsp cinnamon*
- coconut water*
(*) – denotes an optional ingredient; but, if you are playing the challenge, then trying it with the optional ingredients will give you extra points.
- Add ingredients listed above to a blender.
- Simply pulse blend for about 1 minute to ensure you remove any chunks, then blend until smooth.
- Instead of ordering a salad with your meal, try this. Or, simply drink as a snack.
Some quick benefits of this smoothie:
- Immunity from and prevention of cardiovascular diseases and cancers
- Ease stress and anxiety
- Loaded with potassium, vitamin K, vitamin C, folate and fiber
- Anti-inflammatory properties due to content of anthocyanins found in sweet potatoes
- Vitamin A for lung health, which may be beneficial for smokers since smoking has been known to cause Vitamin A deficiencies
- Stabilize blood sugar by incorporating cinnamon to encourage healthy weight loss
Approximate macros (with raw sweet potato and without coconut water): 135 calories, 2g protein, 32g carbs, 0g fat