Earlier this week when I went grocery shopping I found some jazz apples. They were practically glowing so I couldn’t resist grabbing a few to make a recipe.
Since I’ve been eating a small bowl of oatmeal every morning this week, I decided to experiment by making a fairly quick & very easy oatmeal bake. My personal challenge was to use only what I had in my fridge and pantry.
So, here’s what I came up with…
- 1/3 cup raw, oatmeal (uncooked)
- 1/2 Jazz apple (or granny apple)
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon raw honey (or raw cane sugar)*
- spray coconut oil
( * ) – Optional ingredient
- Set oven to 350F.
- Spray a cast iron skillet with coconut oil and set it on medium-high heat.
- Chop up half of the apple and add to the skillet once it is hot. Saute the apple until the edges turn brown, which should take about 6 to 8 minutes. Stir with a spatula to ensure the apple does not stick to the skillet.
- While the apple is cooking, mix together all of the ingredients in a bowl. If you find the batter is too thick and dry, add 1 or 2 tablespoons of almond milk.
- Add the sauteed apples to the mixture and stir. Then add the entire mixture back to the skillet.
- Bake in the oven for 15 to 18 minutes, or until it is golden brown. Be careful not to overcook as it can quickly dry out.
- Serve and enjoy immediately.
Approximate macros for 1 serving (without optional honey/sugar):
238 calories, 11g protein, 27g carbohydrates, 8g fat, 4g fiber, 7g sugar